An Invitation to Join the Mid-Peninsula Recorder Orchestra
The Mid-Peninsula Recorder Orchestra is a unique organization which invites those who play recorder, early winds, or early strings to take advantage of the many opportunities and benefits it offers to its members:
- Enjoy the experience of ensemble playing
- Join a consort
- Play under the direction of a nationally recognized conductor
- Learn a repertoire which ranges from the Middle Ages to the 21st century
- Take part in performances with the orchestra and other musical organizations
- Attend workshops given by well-known artists
- Receive monthly newsletters
- Meet others who enjoy playing early instruments and making music together
To join MPRO, please fill out and submit this
then print out a copy and bring it with your check to the next MPRO rehersal!
Current members, please also use this form to renew your membership
or to change your information on file.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Click on the question to see the answer.
+ 1. Can I visit a meeting and play along before joining?
Yes, prospective members are very welcome to come to any meeting and play along. Just bring your recorder(s) and/or other early music instruments! Paper copies of the music will be provided to guests.
+ 2. Can I still join if the season has already started?
Although we encourage people to join at the beginning of a season, we welcome new members at any time.
+ 3. I'm nervous playing in front of an audience. If I join, do I have to play in the concerts?
Performance in concerts is optional and new members need not play in concerts until they feel ready.
+ 4. I'm still learning to play. How good do I need to be in order to join MPRO?
You are welcome to join as long as you can read music and play basic melodies on your recorder.
+ 5. What are the types of MPRO memberships available?
MPRO offers several types of memberships:
- Participating Member - entitled to attend all meetings, hold office, participate in concerts with the orchestra as a whole or as part of a separate ensemble, and have priority for workshop registration.
- Student Member - same as Performing Member, but younger members (students in grades 4-12) get a 60% discount in membership dues.
- Associate Member - free to attend rehearsals on a drop-in basis and participate in concerts as a member of a separate ensemble.
All classes of membership receive the newsletter, are included in the MPRO email list, and receive a discount on workshop attendance.
If you are not ready to join MPRO at this time but are interested in receiving Concert and Workshop notifications, please fill out a Membership form and check the "Interest only" box.
+ 6. How can I join or form a consort through MPRO?
While MPRO does not formally help set up consorts, members are able to email the MPRO mailing list to ask for other members who might be interested in a consort or whose consort needs another player.
+ 7. Could I play my viol, crumhorn, or other early music instrument with MPRO?
Yes! We have several members who play viola de gamba, crumhorn, dulcian, etc., along with playing recorder in the pieces that don't lend themselves to those instruments.